In India, flood have became a recurrent incident. It causes wide range of loss in farming and causes death and diseases of cattle, pets and humans. Moreover it causes the pollution of the environment and water bodies.
The animals those stand in the polluted water can develop various infections and it is a most important topic in this rainy season.
Common diseases that can develop in this circumstances are tetanus, hepatitis, vomiting, food poisoning etc. Various types of viruses, bacteria, protozoa and other microorganisms should be present in these places and they can enter into the body of victims through wounds and other orifices. So it is important to have the knowledge of animal care during a flood.
ANIMAL HEALTH CARE IN DISASTERS:
Evacuation: evacuating animals from the affected farms can reduce more health hazard of animals. Destination and mode of transportation to the destination must be determined before this situation.
Food and water: while evacuating animals we should be prepared with enough food and water for them. The food should have a minimum nutritional value.
Identification: during large scale disasters, a large number of animals will be relocated so identification marks or tags should be present with the animals.
Treatment: we must ensure that the wounded animals should get necessary treatment.
ANIMAL CARE DURING FLOOD:
- During a disaster we should inform and alert, local veterinary doctors, farmers and politicians.
- An emergency management system consisting of local people should be made in the area of affected places.
- A safe place for the cattles and a proper plan for the safety of properties should be made.
- As soon as a news of disaster is heard the animals should be relocated to a safer place.
- Suitable vehicles should be arranged for the evacuation of the animals.
- Necessary food should be prepared in a common house so wounded and evacuated animals can have them.
- A farm disaster kit for animal care should be prepared prior: it should include, the list of all animals including their locations and records, identification marks ( tags, cattle markers, paint ), first aid kit, halters, cages, water, feed, bucket, sanitary products etc.
- A proper facility for the disposal of dead and carcasses should be made.
- Necessary vaccination should be done before the monsoon season
- Necessary awareness classes of flood and animal care should be conducted.